get_iplayer.cgi and permissions

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:26:16 EDT 2012

On 16/10/2012 15:59, John Crisp wrote:
> On 16/10/12 00:59, dinkypumpkin wrote:
>>
>> I think the idea is that you add a "SetEnv HOME <vhost_path>" directive
>> to your apache conf so that the forked get_iplayer reads/writes (as the
>> apache user) to special directories you create with the requisite
>> permissions.  The instructions in README-get_iplayer.cgi.txt are still
>> valid, with one addition:
>
> Ahhhh.... my bad ! Thanks - I just misread the readme where it says
>
> * Ensure you have the following lines in Apache's httpd.conf:
>
>   ScriptAlias /iplayer "/var/www/get_iplayer/get_iplayer.cgi"
>   SetEnv HOME /var/www/get_iplayer/
>
> Doh !
>
> Added SetEnv and away we went.
>
> Next I have to sort out the file paths.... I copied over the options
> file and have the files saved to a different path on the server but this
> creates a few issues as it is not a 'web enabled' directory so you can't
> use a URL to access it, and the 'play local file' option gives the
> servers own full directory, not it's file shared equivalent !

The Play action and Play Remote function will effectively stream the
file from wherever get_iplayer downloaded the file, as configured by the
output dir in options.  It must be accessible to the apache user, of
course.  If you need direct URL access to those files, I presume you
could map the directories into Apache accordingly, but there isn't a way
to integrate that with the web pvr.

> So the web interface for playback becomes redundant.

Well, the Play action or Play Remote function should still work
(mostly).  I think it may be broken for M4A audio files, depending on
the version of ffmpeg you have installed.  I haven't looked into it yet.

> 'play local' is fine if the webserver resides on the same machine that
> you play from.

Yep

> 'play' is probably fine if you save the files into the get_iplayer
> directory.

If you mean the output dir configured in the options file, then yes.

> I might have to create one web & file sharing enabled directory for the
> lot.

Probably easiest if you just want a file share for direct access to
files downloaded by the web pvr.