3 questions, from a newby!

Shevek shevek at shevek.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 09:36:16 EDT 2012

On 8 October 2012 14:20, Nigel Heasman <nigel at nigelheasman.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I have 3 questions that I can't find answers to, and would appreciate some
> advice, please:-
>
> 1) can the latest get_iplayer download ITV programmes ?
> I've tried "--type=itv" but that doesn't work, for me!

No - it is for BBC iPlayer only

> 2) when I run get_iplayer, to obtain a current tv listing, I get a list of
> programmes, with a 3 figure number at the start of each line - I'm presuming
> that number is the pid.
> However, I've seen postings that show the pid as alpha numeric - e.g
> "get_iplayer --mode=flashhigh --pid=b01n1tbz "  - I've never seen that sort
> of "number" in any of the listings I've downloaded. Could some kind person
> explain that to me, please

This is not the PID, this is the index for the programme, since the
last refresh. For a given programme it will be updated each refresh.

You can download the programme using the index:

get_iplayer -g 123

You can get more info on the programme using the index:

get_iplayer -i 123

This will then show you the PID

> 3) Is there a gui/pvr for Linux ? I'm running Archlinux and can't find one
> anywhere!!

I know nothing about Linux! There are others on the list who are much
better armed to answer this, I am sure they will respond shortly.