Radio Thumbnails

Shevek shevek at shevek.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 05:39:27 EDT 2012

On 1 October 2012 08:28, dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/09/2012 22:00, Alastair wrote:
>>
>> This is of interest as sometime I got the thumbnail and now not.  To be
>> sure I get it does this
>> mean I can just run "get_iplayer --prefs-add --thumb" or is the syntax
>> different?
>

> That is correct.  You may also wish to add --thumbsize=6 in order to
> download the largest thumbnail images.

is it possible to download a specific size thumbnail?

I have found that you can request any size that follows the correct
aspect ratio and the BBC img server serves up the image at that size

I would like to download a specific size of 400x225 but have to
extract the URL from --info and replace the WxH with 400x225 in a
browser to get the one I want

e.g. last weekend's Doctor Who lists these in --info

http://node1.bbcimg.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b01n70f3_86_48.jpg
http://node1.bbcimg.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b01n70f3_150_84.jpg
http://node1.bbcimg.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b01n70f3_178_100.jpg
http://node1.bbcimg.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b01n70f3_512_288.jpg
http://node1.bbcimg.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b01n70f3_528_297.jpg
http://node1.bbcimg.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b01n70f3_640_360.jpg

but you can also get the following from a browser

http://node1.bbcimg.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b01n70f3_400_225.jpg