Get_iplayer on Raspberry Pi

tommy myname at imagine.fsworld.co.uk
Thu May 31 08:25:25 EDT 2012

On 31/05/2012 12:39, Alex Eames wrote:
>> Will this be enough to get me there? Sorry, I'm a bit of a linux retard,
>> but keen to learn these basics.

You will need to get some dependencies too though (though a build
environment is there already). Here's what I did to get it compiled
(from a sensible starting folder):

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

[add an extra line for the deb-multimedia repository]
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free

sudo apt-get purge rtmpdump
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring

[yes to "install without verification"]

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev librtmp-dev

git clone git://git.ffmpeg.org/rtmpdump
cd rtmpdump
make SYS=posix
sudo make install SYS=posix

[I think you don't actually need the SYS= bit, as posix is the default]

Then you can test with "rtmpdump -v" to check you are running v2.4.

To compile a reasonably comprehensive (I think) ffmpeg from source,
which takes a couple of hours, you can follow a similar process:

sudo apt-get purge ffmpeg
sudo apt-get install libfaac-dev libmp3lame-dev libx264-dev
libxvidcore-dev libgsm1-dev libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev

git clone git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
cd ffmpeg
./configure --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264
--enable-libgsm --enable-postproc --enable-libxvid --enable-libfaac
--enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libfaad --enable-gpl
--enable-nonfree
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

> You shouldn't need to upgrade ffmpeg along with rtmpdump.  It's completely
> separate from rtmpdump and has nothing to do with downloading programmes.

Agreed - though I would probably recommend compiling ffmpeg from git
anyway, as I have had problems with ffmpeg on arm before - the
"non-monotonically increasing timestamp" error being chief amongst
them.

> What versions of rtmpdump and ffmpeg did you get from your distro's
> repository (run "rtmpdump -v" and "ffmpeg -version")?  The Debian squeeze
> repo has adequate versions for desktop machines, but I've no idea what you
> get for use on a Pi.

squeeze repos have v2.3 for rtmpdump, which seems fine on desktops,
but fails as described in the OP on the pi (I am not sure if this is
ARM- or pi-specific though)

tommy