'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command etc

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed May 30 06:55:51 EDT 2012

On 30/05/2012 09:52, Chris Hartley wrote:
> initially Firefox gives the error:
>
> "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:1935"
>
> which I then have to refresh (the browser refresh) a few times before
> the Web PVR Manager window appears.
>
> I am on Windows7 x86 with Firefox default browser and default windows
> installer (2 day old OS)
>
> The full report is pasted below.
> 'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

Christopher's response gave you info you need to track down the problem
with ping.  You should get it working for the more general reason he
mentions (to fix a broken PATH), but below is an explanation of why it
is useful for the Web PVR Manager.

The ping utility is invoked in:

C:\Program Files\get_iplayer\pvr_manager.cmd

That's the batch file launched when you select Web PVR Manager from the
Start menu.  The ping command is used to provide a brief delay after the
startup of the Web PVR Manager itself.  The delay is there to allow the
Web PVR Manager to initialise before trying to access it with the
browser.  If the ping command fails, the browser attempts to connect too
soon and you get the problem you described.  As you noted, it's not a
big deal, but you might as well have a smooth startup for the Web PVR
Manager.