Get_iplayer on Raspberry Pi

Alex Eames alex at translatortips.com
Sun May 27 16:02:54 EDT 2012

Hi all,

A couple of us at the Raspberry Pi forums have managed to install and
use get_iplayer on the Pi.
I saw there was a thread in March about this, but nothing since, as
nobody had one back then.

This thread was posted yesterday with links to a blog install tutorial
which works fine...
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6590

Testing the Pi install of 2.80 Vs my Ubuntu version I noticed that it
downloaded at a
much lower resolution.

Have I got news for you defaulted to 640 x 360 on the Pi
instead of 1280 x 720 on my Ubuntu machine which has
2.80+n18-gitace42f3-ppa5 on it.

So my question is, is there a way to install a more up to date version
on a Raspberry Pi running Debian squeeze?

Or is it simply a question of waiting for the next full version to be
released? It seems that the versions here
https://launchpad.net/~jon-hedgerows/+archive/get-iplayer are just for
Ubuntu?

Sorry - I haven't much idea how to proceed. I have tried using git but
it only gave me 2.80. Any suggestions?
Get-iplayer works very well on the Raspberry Pi at 640 x 360, but the
Pi's biggest strength is that it is 1080p capable using Omxplayer or
OpenELEC.

Thanks in advance

Alex