Running on QNAP with ARM

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Wed Mar 28 11:03:57 EDT 2012

On 19 March 2012 16:55, Barry Caruth <jbc at caruth.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have experience with get_iplayer and the web interface
> running on an ARM-based QNAP NAS? Any pointers regarding setting it
> up?

Specifically on a QNAP NAS, no, but I did manage to get get_iplayer,
rtmpdump and ffmpeg working on a D-Link DNS-323 (which as also
arm-based, and small).  So I can say that it should work, but can't
give any specific advice.  I recall someone else had also had success
on another arm-based NAS, but can't remember who or what NAS.  It's
probably in the archives somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

The thing I did notice though is that the web interface was horribly
slow on the 323 - this is because the (statically linked) perl binary
that I had on the 323 is big, and it takes ages (two or three
seconds?) to fire it up - and the web interface calls get_iplayer
frequently, each call of which has the overhead of loading up another
perl process.  Sitting on my to-do list is a patch to make it possible
to run the get_iplayer script from the web pvr manager in the same
perl process, but I haven't really gotten anywhere with it.

Jon