Understanding Future Schedule, Refresh Cache, Exclude Programmes

MrArtist ta-getiplayer at logonoff.com
Mon Mar 26 18:35:44 EDT 2012

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail.

I think I understand now about the future schedules; the regional
listings are of no significance, Get_iPlayer is just informing me of the
first instance where it found that programme listed and will actually
get the programme based probably on the PID (I presume), so no matter
which region the programme is specified from, they are all in essence
the same programme (via the PID).

Regarding point 1 of my question as follows:

On 26/03/2012 22:17, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 25/03/2012 13:55, MrArtist wrote:
>> 1. I have a longish list of comma separated programmes that I exclude
>> from my web page view. When I look at the PVR list, that long list takes
>> up a lot of space on the page view. Is there any real need for that
>> exclusion list to be carried over into the PVR list? I have solved the
>> visual problem by manually editing each PVR Search name and removing
>> that line so now my PVR list view is a lot more compact, but I wonder
>> why it's needed, or if there can be an option to turn it off? Same could
>> be said for the Exclude Channel which also doesn't seem to be useful in
>> the PVR list.
>
> If you want your results to be the same in the PVR list as when doing
> an ad hoc search, it seems reasonable that your search and filter
> criteria should be the same in both.   Are your search terms so broad
> that you need so many exclusions?  If so, perhaps turn the problem on
> its head and make your PVR searches more targeted.  I grant you that
> the formatting could be improved - there is your chance for glory.

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong? I use the cache listings as my TV guide to
see what's been on and then choose from to record/watch later.

To shorten the normally long list of approx 1,000 programmes generally
available, I had already mastered the art of using the Web PVR Manager
settings box "Exclude Channels Containing" via the string:
"CBBC,CBeebies,BBC Parliament,BBC News 24,BBC Alba". This helps bring
the list of programmes to scan through down to a more manageable 450
ish, and until recently, when I finally got around to installing the
Get_iPlayer updates, there used to not be a long desired for "Exclude
Programmes" box and of the approx 450 programmes I used to wade through
(ideally at least once a week), there were many I was just not
interested in but have to repeatedly scan and think about to ignore. I
now have entered a long string of programmes in that box, part of which is:
casualty:,antiques road,songs of praise,bargain hunt,breakaway,cash in
the attic,counting with rodd,doctors:,don't tell the
bride,eastenders,eggheads:,flog it!,helicopter heroes:,homes under the
hammer,saturday kitchen,snog marry avoid,stormont today,sunday
politics,the national lottery,the one show,the paras,vets 24/7,waterloo
road:,weakest link,white van man:,world's craziest fools,... - and many
more.... - that now brings my list of programmes to scan through down to
a much more manageable 250.

As you see the list can be quite long and when I viewed the PVR List,
each entry is vastly increased in hight because that programme exclusion
list is fully carried over into the PVR List view. It's no big deal but
I found I had a very long page to scan when I wanted to review my
selections for recording. I wondered if I could turn that column off in
PVR List, no, but my solution in the end was to quickly manually edit
each item in PVR List and remove that line entirely. I can't see any
need for it and it won't change anything about the name of the programme
I want to record via series, one-off or ad-hoc search string.

I can however foresee a potential problem if I leave the program
exclusions in. For instance, I record anything with "Doctor Who" in the
title for my kids, but say one day the BBC make a programme called
"Doctor Who's Weakest Link", then my programme exclusion list (which
includes "Weakest Link") is going to reject that Doctor Who programme,
or at least cause some feedback loop or other error?

Maybe I'm getting confused with how it's supposed to work, but for me,
putting all the programmes I don't care about in the exclusion list is
great but I see no need for Exclude Programmes to be specified in the
PVR List, indeed it could cause a problem or omission?

Many thanks.