Best Recording Modes

Tristram Ariss tristram at logonoff.com
Mon Mar 26 05:22:47 EDT 2012

On 25/03/2012 16:00, Jon Davies wrote:
> Try "best", this is expanded into a list of the best available
> recording modes inside the get_iplayer script. Jon

Thank you so much. It's so simple and seems to be working just fine as I
test some programme downloads.

They are coming through (where available) at an HD resolution of 1280 x
720 which seems to be the norm for BBC HD, not exactly max HD potential,
but from the little I've read around the web, this seems to be what is
to be expected and falls within the category of HD.

It seems this "best" option is not properly documented anywhere, so for
anyone else out there wondering what to do, just enter "best" (without
the speech marks) into the Recording Modes box. Get_iPlayer will then
automatically check through the sequence of resolutions available and
download the best it can find.

For any already set up programme recordings listed under your "PVR List"
tab, just click on each item and edit the "modes" entry and insert
"best". This will of course only effect anything yet to be downloaded,
not existing recordings you may have.

While Get_iPlayer is ultimately easy via Web PVR Manager (on Windows at
least?), there is nothing I have found to date that makes it or explains
it as so. I think I will follow up with a post about this very issue
(see post "Get_iPlayer, Easy setup on Windows for GUI".

Many thanks to all who work and have worked on Get_iPlayer.