Using get_iplayer as a Conversion Tool

conrad1on conrad1on at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 16:10:40 EDT 2012

I was wondering if it's possible to use get_iplayer to convert some files that I'd previously downloaded with it, even though they are no longer available on the iPlayer itself.

After the iPlayer stopped outputting nice MP3 versions of radio shows - and before I configured get_iplayer to convert to M4A automatically upon downloading - there was a period where I was forced to put up with slightly more unhelpful AAC versions of programmes instead. I've still got a load of files in this format, and because iTunes doesn't like these files for some reason, in order to add them to iTunes I have to convert them manually.

Thing is, every audio conversion programme I've used takes ruddy ages - the one I'm currently trying took 10 hours to process just 4 files. When get_iplayer automatically converts after downloading, it seems to takes only seconds.

So what I'm asking is, can I somehow employ get_iplayer as a quick conversion programme, and if so, how would I go about it?