Unable to get any TV progs

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 07:38:52 EST 2012

On 01/03/2012 04:57, David Woodfall wrote:
> On (10:38 28/02/12), dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> put forth the
> proposition:
>>> INFO: No specified modes (iphone) available for this programme with
>>> version 'default' (try using
>>> --modes=flashhigh,flashlow,flashstd,flashvhigh,n95_wifi,rtsphigh,rtsplow,rtspstd,rtspvhigh,subtitles)
>>>

>>> ERROR: Failed to record 'am.pm - 22/02/2012 (b01cmyq6)'
>>>
>>> Any ideas what I can try?
>>
>> The message is telling you what to do: use a different recording mode.
>> The "iphone" mode stopped working a long time ago (locked down by
>> BBC). Unfortunately, it is still referenced in help screen, man page,
>> etc. Those references will disappear in a future release.
>
> Right, I did try some of the other formats but I've just noticed I
> need flvstreamer for flash. Works now. Thanks.

For anyone else who may run into this, there is something of a catch-22
at work: if you don't specify recording modes for TV programmes and you
don't have rtmpdump installed, get_iplayer still tries to fall back to
"iphone" mode, which no longer works.  Unfortunately, the related
warning message only appears with --verbose turned on.  I suppose it
should be updated to print a warning and exit instead, but for now, 2
rules to live by: 1) Always install rtmpdump, even if your distro's
package doesn't pull it in.  In general, get_iplayer isn't much good
without it; 2) Always run with --verbose if you encounter any problems
so that will see any additional warning messages.