BBC iPlayer introduces Live Restart capability

Christopher Woods (CM) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Wed Jun 20 11:40:36 EDT 2012

This is a very interesting topic, particularly as I've noted that the
Beeb's been running a (non-advertised) 720p BBC HD stream using chunked
H.264 for a while. Quality's pretty darned decent, I'd watch it if I
didn't have a Sky+HD box.

I can't imagine they'd rip and replace their entire infrastructure for
on-demand, particularly with all the embedded devices they support... If
anything this means more complexity - chunked HTTP for PC and Mac with
the latest versions of Flash, progressive streaming for everything else.