Enabling gzip

Arthur Murray amurrayfsf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 19:35:01 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM, dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I presume that "stco parsing" refers to accessing iPhone streams, something
> get_iplayer used to do.  The "stco" atom in an MP4 container holds a lookup
> table for the actual data chunks in the file, for seeking, etc.  I can see
> how adding overhead for decompression could slow things down.  That
> iPhone-related code is still in get_iplayer, but it's deadwood since the BBC
> locked down the iPhone streams a couple of years ago.  These days the only
> things get_iplayer itself downloads are XML resources of one sort or
> another.  rtmpdump (and mplayer for WMA) handle all the streaming now.  I
> don't know if enabling that Accept-Encoding header will make much of a
> difference.  If you can quantify a significant speed-up with it, by all
> means submit a patch.  I would guess the best place to test timings is when
> doing full refreshes of the cache.

Thank you.  I don't plan to do speed tests, but if stco parsing isn't
an issue anymore I can't think of an advantage to not using gzip and
becoming a slightly more internet/mobile friendly script.

Admittedy it is a very minor thing, but minimizing the number of bytes
squeezed through a slow (partial) proxy was my goal. I'm aware that it
doesn't affect the rtmpdump'd streaming content.