Enabling gzip

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Wed Jun 13 18:15:45 EDT 2012

On 13 June 2012, at 21:18, Arthur Murray wrote:

> I was wondering …  if gzip should really still
> be disabled by default? …
> I'd prefer to enable it to reduce download times and wasted internet
> bytes, …

Surely this only affects the downloads of webpages from the iPlayer site, as you refresh the cache and get the full listing of available programmes?

Surely it does not affect the size of programme downloads, at least not to any significant extent?

Compared to the size of a single video download, the "waste" incurred by refusing gzip'd pages is negligible.

Stroller.