iPad3

Graham g+get_iplayer at cobb.uk.net
Sun Jun 10 10:44:07 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 06 June 2012 02:27:12 Christopher Woods (CM) wrote:
> I imagine there isn't and won't be for a while.
> On 05/06/2012 19:52, Rog wrote:
> > Is there an app for the ipad3?

This is an interesting question.

One thing that definitely works (I do it sometimes) is to use get_iplayer to
download the programme, convert the file into a form the iPad can play using
ffmpeg and then load the converted video onto the iPad using something like
Filer (or, I guess, Dropbox).  Good for getting programmes onto the iPad to
view on planes.

It would be quite feasible to create a web site which allowed you to automate
that: display the list of programmes and select one, the site would download
it, convert it and then make it available for download or streaming to the
iPad.  Of course, no one would run such a web site as a service for others --
it would be a clear copyright violation and would get shut down very quickly
-- but it is something one could run on one's own system for personal use.

Graham