Raspberry Pi, omxplayer and streaming

Graham Cobb g+get_iplayer at cobb.uk.net
Sat Jul 14 09:48:35 EDT 2012

On Saturday 14 July 2012 12:57:18 Charles Johnson wrote:
> I was wondering if any of you can see any possible better ways of doing
> this. Also, there are some problems of the whole chain not dismantling
> itself gracefully when the stream ends.

I'm not quite certain exactly what you are trying to do, but the code below
shows the way I normally use named pipes for similar sorts of stuff.  Not sure
if it helps...

fifo=`tempfile`
rm $fifo
mkfifo $fifo

get_iplayer --stream 900 >$fifo &
mplayer $fifo

rm $fifo

(P.S. yes, I know that removing and recreating the tempfile opens a very small
security hole -- I am willing to live with it)