Olympic torch relay footage

Jimmy Aitken jimmy.aitken at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 13:13:49 EDT 2012

On 11 Jul 2012, at 15:18, dinkypumpkin wrote:

> On 11/07/2012 14:22, Jimmy Aitken wrote:
>> I have an issue when trying to download the morning episode for Day 27.  I'm using
>> get_iplayer --pid p00rh5qb
>>
>> It all goes, sort of OK, until: (the original error has been lost, so this is from the first report I have).
>>
>> RTMPDump v2.2c
>> (c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
>> Connecting ...
>> WARNING: Trying different position for server digest!
>> INFO: Connected...
>> Resuming download at: 2196979.084 kB / 14916.000 sec (56.3%)
>> INFO: Metadata:
>> INFO:   duration              26464.09
>> INFO:   moovPosition          36.00
>> INFO:   width                 384.00
>> INFO:   height                216.00
>> 2196979.084 kB / 14916.00 sec (56.3%)
>> Couldn't resume FLV file, try --skip 1
>
> As a first step, get an up-to-date version of rtmpdump (>= 2.3).  If you are on Windows, download the latest installer from infradead.org/get_iplayer and update everything.  Newer rtmpdump should be more robust about resuming downloads, but you should also see a reduction in file size.  You appear to be downloading the "flashlow" stream, but 2 Gb seems wrong for roughly 3.5 hours of video at that quality.  With latest Windows get_iplayer I only see about 1/3 of that for your programme.

A bit more information.  Running on a Mac, latest Lion release.  The reason I'm using rtmpdump 2.2c was that 2.4 never worked for me.  It did, weirdly enough, work for get_flash_videos.

The upshot is that I re-downloaded the version from mplayerhq and built a new version from scratch just in case.

Now using that version, everything seems to be working much better.  I get one retry and the ffmpeg at the end fails, however, it's good enough for me to extract the clip that I want.

Many thanks for forcing me to do that.  I kept wondering why I was getting a SEGV when it was running, and it looks like it may just be exercising a code path that "get_flash_videos" doesn't.  I thought it may have been an issue with the stream for that particular day, but it looks OK now.

Many thanks for your help.

Jimmy
--
Jimmy Aitken