Redirecting the get_iplayer output

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 20:07:57 EDT 2012

On 05/07/2012 22:01, JCA wrote:
>      I am running get_iplayer on a box A. This box has a VPN tunnel
> that allows me to use get_iplayer successfully. On the same LAN as A I
> have another box B. There is no VPN tunnel on B, which implies that
> get_iplayer won't work on B. Taking advantage of the fact that A and B
> are in the same network, would it be possible to stream the video
> material received by get_iplayer in A into B, so that it can be played
> on B as well?

The Web PVR Manager can do something like that.  Run it on box A and
connect to it with the web browser on box B.  From box B use the Play
links in the search results or recordings list to play media from box A
on box B.  Clicking on the Play links sends a M3U playlist file to box B
which will be opened by the application configured to open playlist
files.  You can also simultaneously access the Web PVR Manager from box A.

The URL in the playlist generated by clicking Play in the search results
instructs the Web PVR Manager to transcode or relay the programme stream
from box A to box B rather than downloading it on box A.  The default is
to transcode into FLV format, but there are a few other options in the
Streaming settings tab, including an option to disable transcoding and
have rtmpdump send the FLV stream directly.

The URL in the playlist generated by clicking Play in the recordings
page instructs the Web PVR Manager to transcode the already-downloaded
programme on box A into FLV format and stream it to box B.  I don't
think the options in the Streaming settings tab have any effect here.

I have only ever gotten this work with VLC as the client and playlist
file handler, though there may be other media players that work.

You shouldn't have to set up the Web PVR Manager in Apache to make this
work.  However, you'll need to launch the Web PVR Manager on box A so
that it can be accessed from box B.  If you're safe behind a firewall,
start the Web PVR Manager on box A like so:

get_iplayer.cgi --listen 0.0.0.0 --port 1935

If not, change 0.0.0.0 to a safe address on your LAN.

There is some outdated but possibly still useful information here:

http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/get_iplayer-pvr-manager
http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/README-get_iplayer.cgi.txt