Fwd: Re: For discussion - signed-only programmes displayed in match list won't download without explicit version

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 15:50:57 EST 2012

On 23/02/2012 19:18, Rob Dixon wrote:
> From: Thomas Willson <thomas.willson at me.com>
>
> I think it would be useful if rather than "No programmed are available"
> it said that the programme was only available in signed and/or
> audiodescribed versions.

The error message probably should regurgitate the version(s) specified
so that least the user knows the context.  However, there is a slight
chicken-or-egg issue with notifying the user about other available
versions.  get_iplayer downloads only the metadata it needs, so it
doesn't get info for signed/audiodescribed versions unless you tell it
to do so.  That error message is generated after get_iplayer has already
downloaded and partially parsed the metadata, so in the default case it
would need to go back to the BBC website to get additional versions'
info.   I suppose there is no reason it couldn't do that, but to me it
seems simpler to just use --versions.  That way, you'll get whatever
version is available according to your preference, and if no versions
are available, you'll know for sure.  This is definitely an edge case,
so I think a bit of more complete documentation should suffice for those
who want to pick up signed-only repeats.