Signed programmes not downloading

Bill Denton dentonwe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 11:03:17 EST 2012

On 23 February 2012 15:54, dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/02/2012 14:49, Rob Dixon wrote:
>
>> OK, but it seems counterintuitive that if I enter
>>
>>   get_iplayer Horizon
>>
>> without specifying any specific version, I get
>>
>>   328:    Horizon - 2009-2010: 4. Who's Afraid of a Big Black Hole?, BBC
>> Two, Audio Described,Factual,Science&  Nature,Science&  Technology,TV,
>> default,audiodescribed
>>   329:    Horizon - 2011-2012: 7. Playing God, Audio Described, Audio
>> Described,Factual,Science&  Nature,Science&  Technology,Sign Zone,TV,
>> audiodescribed,signed
>>

>> but then I use
>>
>>   get_iplayer 329 -g
>>
>> and it tells me
>>
>>   WARNING: No programmes are available for this pid
>>
>> So I have to notice that the listing is of a signed version and say so
>> when I ask for the download, when get_iplayer knows the version is has
>> displayed is a signed one all along! The fix I made was just to modify
>> the URL if the programme selected from the match list happened to be
>> signed.
>

> It's not counterintuitive given the default behaviour.  To be fair, that
> default behaviour isn't explicitly referenced in the help screen, a
> situation which I can remedy when I have a moment.  I should also point out
> that if you always want signed programmes when they're available, just use
> --prefs-add to make --versions=signed a permanent setting, or add it to your
> options file directly.
>
> As to whether the default behaviour should be changed to automatically fall
> back to an alternate version if the default version isn't available, some
> questions immediately arise:  If both audiodescribed and signed versions are
> available, which one do you download?  What if the user wants audiodescribed
> but only signed is available?  It seems to me like this is a place where the
> user needs to explicitly declare a preference based on availability, as
> shown in the search output listing.  FWIW, such a fallback mechanism would
> affect a tiny number of programmes (26 out of 905 in today's count), so the
> utility would be limited.
>
> If you want to pursue this, I would suggest surfacing the issue in a new
> thread on this list to see if any other useful input emerges.  If you take
> it as far as proposing a patch for get_iplayer, your fix referenced above is
> not the way to go.  All you've done is silently force an override of the
> expected behaviour, which isn't a good idea.  The task you're trying to
> accomplish should be done earlier in the processing, e.g., by manipulating
> the version list based on cache contents.

Sorry emailed to Rob directly by accident rather the list...

I have just tested with your earlier modifications and am still unable
to fetch the programme:
get_iplayer Horizon
Matches:
329:    Horizon - 2009-2010: 4. Who's Afraid of a Big Black Hole?, BBC
Two, Audio Described,Factual,Science & Nature,Science & Technology,TV,
default,audiodescribed
330:    Horizon - 2011-2012: 7. Playing God, Audio Described, Audio
Described,Factual,Science & Nature,Science & Technology,Sign Zone,TV,
audiodescribed,signed

get_iplayer -g 330
Matches:
330:    Horizon - 2011-2012: 7. Playing God, Audio Described, Audio
Described,Factual,Science & Nature,Science & Technology,Sign Zone,TV,
audiodescribed,signed

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
WARNING: No programmes are available for this pid

So how can I get this programme?

Thanks.