Signed programmes not downloading

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 09:13:02 EST 2012

On 23/02/2012 13:38, Rob Dixon wrote:
> If I use, for instance
>
> get_iplayer --pid b01b45zh -g
>
> to retrieve the Horizon programme "2011-2012: 7. Playing God", it
> correctly shows me the info line and then says
>
> WARNING: No programmes are available for this pid
>
> This is because it is pulling the XML metadata from
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/b01b45zh
>
> which has a <noItems reason=""/> element instead of from
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/b01b45zh/sign
>
> which is valid for signed programmes.

Thanks for the info.  Your problem has nothing to do with the playlist
XML.  You need to specify that you want the signed version by adding
"--versions signed" to the command line.  See the man page or --longhelp
output.

get_iplayer only attempts to download the "default" version unless you
specify otherwise.  The '<noItems reason=""/>' is correct in this case
since there is no "default" version of the programme available.  This is
true for programmes which are, e.g., only broadcast in the Sign Zone and
are thus only available in signed and/or audiodescribed versions.