Stream corrupt error and then rtmpdump goes nuts!

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Mon Dec 31 09:45:35 EST 2012

On 31 December 2012 11:36, Neill Mitchell <neill at nlkmitchell.com> wrote:

> I have been trying a number of things and I think the problem might be the very opposite! I recently upgraded to BT Infinity 2. I'm within sight of the box, so I'm getting the full 80Mbit/s. I think the problem is my connection is simply too fast and floods rtmpdump's buffer before it has a chance to start processing it. Hence the out of sequence packet type errors.
> ...Once I drop it down to around 30MBits, then it starts getting reliable.

Interesting.  it's rare that I see stuff fail because the network is too /fast/.

If you run get_iplayer with -v, it'll show you the rtmpdump command
line.  Try running that again with a different buffer size (-b x,
where x is in milliseconds - it defaults to 36000000), and that may
help.  If it does there's probably a workaround (or fix?) that could
be added to get_iplayer.

Another workaround might be to run get_iplayer under trickle (see
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/en/man1/trickle.1.html) -
this will allow you to throttle just get_iplayer without affecting
anything else.

Jon