Problems with new install of get_player 2.82 in Windows 8

Alexis Fotiadis alexisfotiadis at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:52:42 EST 2012

Hi all
The list keeps bouncing my message with 'Message has a suspicious
header'...hope I get through this time!

I haven't used get_iplayer since April as I was out of the UK, with
limited internet access. When I got back, I got a new laptop (AMD
quad-core, 6GB RAM, Windows 8), and have just tried get_iplayer on it
with the newest install (2.82 with rtmpdump 2.4). I used to go with the
command line, as my old laptop was a slow 7-yr old WinXP. However, the
command line on my new system doesn't seem to work.

The initial loading lines appear, then the list of all current BBC
programmes (Total 1700 or something), then the cmd-line window closes
by itself.

get_player v2.82, Copywrite etc...
Matches:
1: Newsnight
2: etc...
Total: 1700
Close

Trying the pvr version that opens in Firefox results in the attached
error messages.

The recurring error message seems to be:
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
and these once each:
ERROR: WriteN, RTMP send error 10054 (42 bytes)
ERROR: WriteN, RTMP send error 10053 (18 bytes)
ERROR: WriteN, RTMP send error 10053 (42 bytes)

I seem to remember that previously there were sometimes fiddly things to
add/write in the get_player folder, or other parts of Windows, to get it
working. But I don't remember what any of these were...and since my old
laptop has given up the ghost (why I got a new one), and I haven't been
able to access the hard-drive yet, I can't check if the problem is just
with my new laptop, or with Windows 8, but not XP. It shouldn't be a
problem with my connection, as this laptop's in-built wifi is miles more
reliable than the USB one I had previously (which was the source of many
download drop-outs), and downloads from other sites work fine.

I had a look through recent posts, and haven't found anything so far that
helped.

Cheers in advance for any ideas. Hope this post is correctly-formatted -
like I said, it's been a while since I wrote here.

Alex