Installing on SheevaPlug running Ubuntu Jaunty

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 26 11:09:10 EDT 2012

On 26 August 2012 11:56, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 26 August 2012 11:33, Jonathan Wiltshire <jmw at debian.org> wrote:
>> On 2012-08-26 09:33, Colin Law wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I would like to install get-iplayer on my SheevaPlug PC which is
>>> running Jaunty.  I can't upgrade the PC because Ubuntu does not
>>> support that Arm processor after Jaunty.  It is not in the Jaunty
>>> repositories as far as I can see.  Google produced some hopeful
>>> looking links but none of the links seemed to work.  Is this likely to
>>> be possible, and if so are there any instructions somewhere for
>>> installing it manually?
>>

>> get-iplayer itself is architecture independent, so installing it
>> is easy though some dependencies might cause problems.
>>
>> Pick a link from http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/all/get-iplayer/download
>> and:
>>
>> $ wget <link>
>> $ sudo dpkg -i get-iplayer*_all.deb
>> $ sudo aptitude install
>>
>> dpkg will whinge about missing dependencies, the aptitude call will walk you
>> through installing them and finishing the configuration.
>
> OK, thanks for that, it needed a couple of perl packages which was ok,
> but now it needs rtmpdump or flvstreamer, neither of which are in the
> repo.  So off to find rtmpdump for jaunty on sheeva, or may have to
> try and build it.

In case anyone is interested I have got get-iplayer and rtmpdump going
on a SheevaPlug running Ununtu 9.04 (Jaunty).  This is how I did it.

sudo apt-get install libwww-perl libxml-simple-perl
Downloaded quantal get-iplayer deb as suggested by Jonathan above and
installed it, ignoring rtmpdump dependency using
sudo dpkg -i --ignore-depends=rtmpdump get-iplayer_2.82-2_all.deb

Then picked up rtmpdump by
git clone git://git.ffmpeg.org/rtmpdump
obviously git must be installed for this.  Then installed some dependencies by
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
cd to the rtmpdump directory and
make SYS=posix
then assuming that is ok
sudo make prefix=/usr install

Rather amazingly it all seems to work.  Though only briefly tested so far.

Colin