4GiB limit, chunk download, what to use to demux and remux?

MS jmstanfield at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 15:05:08 EDT 2012

On 05/08/12 16:49, Andy Waddington wrote:
> Sometime before sending, David Woodhouse typed (and on Sunday 2012-08-05 sent):
>> This thread is starting to grate on my pedant's nerves.
>>
>> It's 4GiB, not 4GB... or 4Gb or 4Gib.
>>
>> 1GiB is 1024 * 1024 * 1024 bytes; 1,073,741,824 bytes.
>> 1GB is 1000 * 1000 * 1000 bytes;  1,000,000,000 bytes.
>
> That's a comparitively recent innovation, driven by disc manufacturers
> who wanted a unit that made their discs sound bigger and computer people
> who still need a symbol for a more natural unit of data. GB used to mean
> what GiB means now, because disc manufacturers have more clout and weren't
> compelled to name their unit something different, forcing the existing unit
> to change meaning and resulting in gratuitous confusion (even if it is a
> more sensible naming convention).

Since the 4GB download problem is as a result of a memory addressing
problem, it should also be noted that the JEDEC memory standard defines
giga (G) as 2^30 (1,073,741,824) and NOT as 10^9 (1,000,000,000).

Andy's exactly right, it's all down to the disk manufacturers wanting to
advertise products as being 6.87% larger than their actual size.

Matt