4GB limit, chunk download, what to use to demux and remux?

MS jmstanfield at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 07:47:11 EDT 2012

On 05/08/12 11:36, Derek Moss wrote:
> On 3 August 2012 14:16, dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> dinkypumpkin wrote:
>>>
>>> I've used Avidemux to concatenate the trimmed and re-muxed chunks.
>>> mencoder worked as well, though I had to re-encode the audio. I tried
>>> concatenating with ffmpeg and mp4box, but I couldn't get the right
>>> incantations. The splices are a bit rough, but I'm not too bothered
>>

>> I was being a bit obtuse there.  It is possible to use ffmpeg with mp4box,
>> but the only way I found to do it is to de-mux the elementary streams with
>> mp4box, concatenate them with ffmpeg, then re-mux the concatenated streams
>> with mp4box.  Avidemux was much easier.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. After trying about four programs that
> wouldn't even open the flvs I'd download and were broken and couldn't
> seek properly because of the 4GB bug, avidemux allowed me to chop the
> recording and save a fixed mp4 which seeks normally, without
> re-encoding.

I must say that I am also indebted to dinkypumpkin's suggestion to use
Avidemux - that little program has been a bit of a revelation. I
installed it on my Linux/Ubuntu machine several years ago, but it
crashed frequently when I used it, so I abandoned its use. Ubuntu must
have been quietly updating it over the years and now it seems to be a
robust and excellent little tool to add to the video toolbox. So far
I've just used its concatenation and cutting features, which both worked
perfectly and quickly, copying the video and audio and accurately
honouring the cut points I had selected. The next time I have to do a
re-encode I'll be seeing how well it performs at that. I noticed that it
is cross-platform, available for Linux/Win/Mac, so non-Linux users might
also like to take a look (though maybe all you guys know about it already).

Matt