Replying to list

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Aug 3 13:28:37 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 17:59 +0100, Derek Moss wrote:
> When I reply to a message it always puts the e-mail of the sender
> rather than the list in the To field. The only way round this I've
> found so far is to click Reply All and then cut
> get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org from the CC field and paste it in the
> To field but is there a better way, as I keep forgetting and just
> click Reply and don't always notice it's going to the sender rather
> than the list?
>
> I'm using gmail if that makes any difference.

Any sane mailer should have a private 'reply' function, and a 'reply to
all' function. If you click the private reply, that's what you get. If
you 'reply to all', that's also what you get.

I know there are some mailing lists which override that *private* reply,
and trick you into sending messages to the list when you intended it to
be private. That's a really stupid idea and we don't do it here.

--
dwmw2