4GB limit, chunk download, what to use to demux and remux?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 08:52:31 EDT 2012

MS wrote:
> So how do I fix the downloaded chunks? What Linux software do I use to
> demux my 1st chunk .mp4 file and subsequent chunks .mp4.flv files? And
> what software do I use to remux them together preferably allowing a
> little editing to get rid of the 5 min overlaps I've used for the
> chunks, and fixing the timecode? (If timecode the right expression for
> the time displayed when playing the video?)

I just use ffmpeg with -ss and -t to trim and re-mux the .flv files.
I've found that trimming 5 mins from the beginning of each chunk created
with --start is way more than enough to remove the wonky timestamps.
I've used Avidemux to concatenate the trimmed and re-muxed chunks.
mencoder worked as well, though I had to re-encode the audio. I tried
concatenating with ffmpeg and mp4box, but I couldn't get the right
incantations.  The splices are a bit rough, but I'm not too bothered
about that for the competition sessions.  I made a proper edit of the
opening ceremony, but I used a Mac - I can't say what your best Linux
option would be.

Just to confirm: the 4GB issue is not a filesystem limitation per se.
Even if your filesystem can support >4GB files, the stream still ends at
4GB. I did a little debugging with rtmpdump, and for whatever reason the
server appears to turn off the tap at 4GB. It's not worth the time to
debug further. It will only be a problem again in another 64 years when
the Olympics return. By then we'll all be streaming directly to our
brains via McDonald's branded Olympics skull implants, right?