PVR Manager modes, settings and bugs

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:37:31 EDT 2012

On 27/04/2012 16:48, Derek Moss wrote:
> 1) Under Search - Columns, ticking Mode doesn't do anything (I imagine
> it's meant to show what modes are available for each programme)

That option is only useful when searching the download history ("Search
History" checked). It will show the mode used for an already-downloaded
programme.

> 2) Under Recording, the Recording Modes listed are
> flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashhigh,flashstd,flashnormal,realaudio,flashaaclow.
> Looking at this table
> http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/IPlayer_TV#Comparison_Table it seems
> that the flash modes use AAC by default anyway, so is there any
> difference between flashaachigh and flashhigh and couldn't the list
> just be flashhigh,flashstd,flashnormal,flashlow,flashaudio,realaudio
> (and if wanted, flashhd,flashvhigh, appended to the start)?

The "flashaac" modes (AAC audio) are used for radio programmes on the
national stations.  The "flash" modes (H.264 video/AAC audio) are used
for tv programmes.  So, not the same at all.

> 3) When saving settings in PVR Manager, where are they stored and is

In a persistent browser cookie

> there a saved settings file (storing settings like default download
> folder, etc) for the command line tool as well? (I used to know this,
> but once I forget I can never work out where they are!)

For Windows 7, most likely place is:

C:\Users\<username>\.get_iplayer\options

> 4) Since updating get_iplayer.cgi, clicking on a programme title no
> longer filters by that. It does change what's in the Search box (so
> clicking on an episode of The Bridge sets it to ^The Bridge$ but it
> doesn't refresh the displayed programmes as it used to.

Still works here.  Since the search box changes, the click event handler
is being executed, but apparently the enclosing form isn't being
submitted as it should be.  Perhaps a IE expert out there can shed
further light on this.