Remuxing get_iplayer downloads to play on my TV

Steve Champion steve at stevechampion.com
Fri Apr 20 07:56:29 EDT 2012

I'm a bit of a newbie at video formats, so please excuse me if my question
appears stupid!

I have been enjoying playing programs captured with get_iplayer on my PC,
but it seems to be necessary to convert them to a different format to play
them on my TV (from USB stick). I found a format that I can play by a
combination of trial-and-error and reading the screenshot (see link below)
table that purports to relate to my TV. Unmodified get_iplayer downloads
just give me an "invalid format" message.

I'm using the somewhat clunky Super-C to do the conversion, which takes a
long time... presumably because I am not merely remuxing, but doing a
conversion. I'm struggling a bit to understand the subtleties of video/audio
formats.

So, my question is:

1) Based on this table, is there a format that my TV can play which requires
only a remux (of what get_iplayer downloads) rather than a conversion?

2) If this is the case, what would be the ffmpeg command line to do the
required remux? Given that, I could make a batch file to remux at will [that
much I _could_ handle :-)  ]

This is the table of what my TV is supposed to be able to handle:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4679516/codecs-table.GIF

These are the Super-C settings I have been using so far:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4679516/SuperCforTV.jpg

Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated!