--pvrqueue automatically adds future recordings?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 19:11:11 EDT 2012

On 18/04/2012 21:51, Andy Bircumshaw wrote:
> --pvrqueue clearly *isn't* a "delayed search" mechanism, because it *always* converts the search results into a PID.

It may look up the PID for programmes to construct the pvr search
params, but the search itself isn't handled differently for a queued pvr
entry.  get_iplayer still searches the cache all over again when the pvr
runs.

> If the programme doesn't exist in the cache, using --pvrqueue won't add it to the queue.

I suppose that's the nub of issue.  It does seem strange to have
something called a cache that contains references to things that don't
yet exist.  I guess I'm coming around to your point of view.

> To me --pvrqueue should reflect the same results that the same search does (without --pvrqueue).

I say go ahead and change it.  It would certainly be easier to explain
that behaviour.  I think all you'll need to do is remove that forced
option setting in Pvr::queue().  I would expect very few people, if any,
to notice.  For one thing, --refresh-future is broken for anyone who
doesn't have the Git version of get_iplayer.

> I'm not trying to be bullheaded here, I just don't understand the logic that would support the current behaviour.

Who knows?  That was already in get_iplayer when Phil Lewis dropped it.
  It still makes sense to me that someone might want to queue up a
download for the following week, but in the end it should be up to the
user to set --future for both searching and pvr queuing.