PVR switch syntax - help please

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 07:19:20 EDT 2012

On 11/04/2012 09:45, Andy Bircumshaw wrote:
> Note: I think it may be better practice to have a single --modes setting, rather than separate --tvmode&  --radiomode settings. Perhaps someone else can comment on that?

Using a single --modes setting might burn an extra millisecond or two as
get_iplayer cycles through unnecessary mode values, but I would say it's
simpler to have everything in one setting.

> On 10 April 2012, at 21:03, Alastair wrote:
>
>> I do not know the BBC policy on resolution but it would be better if, having delayed
>> download for 24 hours, get_iplayer could try hd and step down through vhigh and high.  I
>> assume you do this somehow?

Andy's instructions are the way to go for anyone using the release
v2.80.  For anyone who prefers to use the special --modes=best option
(which can slow down get_iplayer in v2.80), grab the latest version from
Git repo:

https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/instructions

This issue comes up occasionally, and it might be easier to remember
--modes=best if all you want to do is download the highest quality
version available.