Seeking guidance to record streaming audio at time of broadcast

Clive roadcone at gmx.com
Wed Sep 28 15:11:35 EDT 2011

> Your commmand can be simplified a little:-
> mplayer 'http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls'
> -dumpstream -dumpfile r3.aac
>
> Then wrap it in m4a:-
> ffmpeg -i r3.aac -acodec copy -absf aac_adtstoasc r3.m4a
>
> I think using the "pls" feed with mPlayer will be more reliable than
> using the "mediaselector/special_event" feed with get_iplayer. ;-)

When I use the long url taken from listenlive.eu, a couple of things -
this seems to change periodically, even when I was trying it out this
evening, and which url do I use, the '1' or the '2'? Secondly, while it
is running, the terminal cursor flashes and the file r3.aac appears and
gets bigger (as one would expect).

Now, if I use the generic url above, accessing the .pls file, the
terminal has all manner of activity; I don't get to see r3.aac created
and when I press Ctrl+C, the activity stops but I can't find r3.aac. Can
someone enlighten me please?

And where are my manners - a sincere thank you to those that have posted
and got me this far.

I now need to incorporate this into at or crontab and neither seem to
work for me. Both list the job as forthcoming but neither run the
command line task. As an alternative, I have generated a bash script
r3.sh and the best that gets is a "command not found" error.

Thank you again, all.

Clive