Seeking guidance to record streaming audio at time of broadcast

bat guano batguano999 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 28 07:45:50 EDT 2011

> Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 07:28:25 +0100
> From: marshall at mcleave.orangehome.co.uk
> To: get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
> Subject: Re: Seeking guidance to record streaming audio at time of broadcast
>
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 07:21:29 +0100
> marshall <marshall at mcleave.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:18:06 +0100
> > Clive <clivebuc at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have not used get_iplayer to record a live broadcast. I would like
> > > to record Saturday's BBC R3 Opera Tosca at 6pm (in the highest
> > > quality available). I would be grateful if someone could give me the
> > > command line, with an explanation, and explain how I find the server
> > > details for a particular broadcast.
> > >
> > > Many thanks.
> > >
> > > Clive
> >
> > While running the risk of getting kicked in the balls for saying so
> > here, I use mplayer to do the recording of live radio programmes.
> > mplayer seems to handle live streams better (for me), I see less
> > stream drops and cut outs than using get_iplayer.
> >
> > The command
> >
> > mplayer 'url_of_stream' -dumpstream -dumpfile captured_file_name.aac
> >
> > mplayer
> > 'http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_p?s=1317145324&e=1317159724&h=b006a0bc719af9662e473ebc29ae78a6'
> > -dumpstream -dumpfile r3.aac
> >
> > This dumps the 320kbit aac stream into a file called r3.aac
> >
> > To find a radio stream url go to somewhere like
> > http://www.listenlive.eu/uk.html and open the playlist file of the
> > station/format/bitrate in a text editor and just copy and paste it
> > into the above command. (Make sure you surround the url in single '
> > quotes or the "&'s" will cause you problems.)
> >
> > -Marshall
> >

> Yeah I forgot to say ctrl-c to end/finsh the stream dump.

That's smart Marshall. :-)

(I didn't know that Radio 3 HD 320k was now available using a pls feed).

Your commmand can be simplified a little:-
mplayer 'http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls' -dumpstream -dumpfile r3.aac

Then wrap it in m4a:-
ffmpeg -i r3.aac -acodec copy -absf aac_adtstoasc r3.m4a

I think using the "pls" feed with mPlayer will be more reliable than using the "mediaselector/special_event" feed with get_iplayer. ;-)