get_iplayer hangs

Graham Cobb g+get_iplayer at cobb.uk.net
Sat Sep 3 13:44:08 EDT 2011

On Saturday 03 September 2011 13:52:29 Carl Fletcher wrote:
> On 03/09/11 13:40, Alexis Fotiadis wrote:
> > On 02/09/2011 09:35, John Rose wrote:
> >> WARNING: Stream does not start with requested FLV frame, ignoring
> >> data...
> >> ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet body. len: 74212
> >>
> >> and get_iplayer hangs.
> >>
> >> Is this due to BBC's duff communication or a bug in get_iplayer?

This is a known problem in rtmpdump, which is believed to be fixed in the very
latest rtmpdump sources.  If you are using an rtmpdump at least "RTMPDump v2.4
8880d14~git" and see the same problem then it seems it is not fixed after all!

If you have an earlier rtmpdump then you either have to build it by hand from
the git repository or see if someone has a version you can use.  If you are
using Linux you may be able to use my version but I have no idea where you can
get a Windows build.

Alternatively, you could try using flvstreamer.  It does not seem to suffer from
the same problem but it does not work at all when downloading HD programmes
(which is where most of the rtmpdump problems occur).

Graham