get_iplayer hangs

Alexis Fotiadis alexisfotiadis at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 3 08:40:00 EDT 2011

On 02/09/2011 21:18, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> Not a problem with get_iplayer per se.  Looks like rtmpdump was having
> trouble with the content server - not a new problem.  Delete the partial
> download and try again.

If it's the same problem I've had the same problem off and on, agree it
 seems to be from rtmpdump 2.4, not get_iplayer itself. When it happens
 on mine, rtmpdump seems to 'overload' - according to TaskManager it
starts using 1GB RAM (i.e. more than any other program running - my
laptop only has 512MB RAM...) then hangs/crashes, either by me closing
it from TaskManager, or by itself in which case it takes other programs
 down with it. Also, it happens separately to parallel downloads i.e.
only happens on one while the others still work.

Temp solution is to manually close rtmpdump from TaskManager, which often results in a repeated error message (or just restart the whole get_iplayer program).

Then delete the partial file as dinkypumpkin said (although if you're
downloading subtitles aswell, they don't always restart with the main
file - just do it again).

Don't know why it happens, but it hasn't done it on mine for about a week,
and the new get_iplayer 2.8 runs pretty stable.