Failed to tag MP4 file

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:13:09 EDT 2011

On 20/10/2011 19:07, Claire wrote:
> Yes, I used the --info option and there were no avaliable modes. It read
> "modes: default:" and commenced a new line that read "modesizes:" or

Did you use the --proxy option as well?  If not, that would explain why
no modes are shown.

> WARNING: Your version of flvstreamer/rtmpdump does not support SWF
> Verification
> WARNING: rtmpdump/flvstreamer 1.8 or later is required - please upgrade

It looks like something may be wrong with the RTMPDump installation.
Open get_iplayer from the Start menu and run this command at the prompt:

.\RTMPDump\rtmpdump.exe --help

then post the output here.

> My rtmpdump version is the latest, so I thought the problem would reside
> in the flashhd command. It was only when I used rtsphd when it seemed to
> work and then created the useless mp4 file.

Just for kicks, try another mode like "flashhigh".  I wouldn't
necessarily expect different results, but it is worth testing.

> Yes, VLC pops up. It stays open for a few seconds and then closes
> automatically.

It would run for 30 mins (for that Planet Dinosaur episode) if it was
working.  You will need to run your original command with --modes=rtsphd
and --verbose to see if VLC writes any error messages.  I'm not sure it
will, though.  It would better to first work out that is going on with
RTMPDump.

> I tried saving my proxy preferences just as I was told in another
> response to this e-mail (localhost:8118) and inserted the command:
> get_iplayer --pid=b0167k1c --modes=flashhd --force --verbose

That won't help unless you're using a VPN or Tor or something like that.
  Otherwise, the traffic from the proxy on your local machine will still
appear to the BBC as originating from outside the UK.  Presumably that's
why no available modes were shown.  Your original proxy seemed to be
working OK, and the proxy doesn't affect RTMPDump, anyway.