Failed to tag MP4 file

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 11:55:04 EDT 2011

On 20/10/2011 14:45, Claire wrote:
> get_iplayer
> --pid=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0167k1c/hd/Planet_Dinosaur_The_Great_Survivors/
> --partial-proxy --proxy="http://217.23.230.254:80"
> --flvstreamer=/path/to/rtmpdump --modes=rtsphd

"--flvstreamer=/path/to/rtmpdump" looks like a placeholder you copied
from somewhere.  You don't need --flvstreamer if you used the Windows
installer and installed all the components.

> available. I wanted to download the best quality version. However, if I
> got the video info, it didn't specify any possible mode. I don't exactly
> know what I could learn with that information.

What do you mean by "got the video info"?  Did you use the --info option
and didn't see any available modes in the output?  If so, one reason
that might happen is that the BBC somehow sussed that you're outside the
UK.  That doesn't seem to be the case here, so it would help to know
what you did.

> - Even if I choose rtsphd mode, it seems to attempt to download a low
> quality version.

Are you using "rtsphd" for a reason?  I suggest you use "flashhd" mode
unless there is a specific reason it won't work for you.  It should make
for a much faster download.

The "low quality" warning is misleading, unfortunately.  If you run with
--verbose, you will see that you are actually connected to a higher
quality stream.  I think that the handling for rtspXXX streams was only
anticipated for use in downloading lower-quality 3GP video for mobiles.

> - Whenever it seems to start downloading, I get the following error:

Do you see VLC pop up on your screen (just after the "low quality"
warning)?  If not, do you have VLC installed?  If VLC does start up,
does it then die right away?

> APar_readX read failed, expect 12, got 0: No error
> INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
> WARNING: Failed to tag MP4 file.
>
> In my recordings folder I can only see a 0kb mp4 file. There was a

The "failed to tag" message stems form the fact that AtomicParsley can't
read that 0kb mp4 file, so not really diagnostic.  The cause of the
empty mp4 file lies elsewhere.

> similar problem in the mailing list archive, but the possible solutions
> were for Ubuntu. If there is a way to apply those in Windows, I don't
> know how.

Perhaps a reference to that previous thread?

> The whole text:

Try again with --verbose added to your command line and
"--flvstreamer=/path/to/rtmpdump" removed.  The extra information in the
verbose output might be useful here.