Version naming suggestion

Nigel Taylor njtaylor at asterisk.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 9 20:25:56 EDT 2011

On 10/09/11 17:13, bat guano wrote:

>> With all the incremental changes made by dinkypumpkin (and others) to
>> the 2.80 perl script, I was thinking it might be a good thing to
>> somehow distinguish between them quickly...
>>
> Hi
> I think that would be a good feature.
> Some programs (such as FFmpeg-git) show the 'commit'.

Hi,

If it is thought there is a need for what is in git then the next
release v2.81 should be created.

There are only two changes to the get_iplayer script, since v2.80 was
tagged in git. The other 4 changes are specific to windows, related to
the windows installer. The need for a v2.81 yet may be open to debate.

In the past the windows installer has held back the releases of a new
versions of get_iplayer. Timely releases replaces any need to invent new
version schemes, or end users using other than the released versions.

Releases should be made regardless of the windows installer, then should
windows fall behind and window users have to resort to getting the
get_iplayer script. The version would have been updated for release to
other platforms allowing identification by version number.

Regards

Nigel Taylor