Possible solution to the Windows AtomicParsley crashes?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 15:32:09 EDT 2011

On 05/10/2011 09:28, Kevin Reilly wrote:
> Sod's Law has dictated, of course, that the four programmes I've
> downloaded so far have caused no problem with the original version. I'll
> keep using this method, though, just in case I stumble upon a programme
> that holds the key to resolving this, or until a fix is verified elsewhere
> and incorporated into the installer.

If the patch I referenced is the root cause of AP crashes with
get_iplayer, the problem it addresses is something that will only
manifest occasionally and won't always be reproducible on another
system, even with the same programme.  That makes it tough to verify a
solution.  Although I could duplicate your original error, I could never
reproduce a crash with another example that Shevek sent to me.  Another
complication is that I could only duplicate your error from Perl, not
the shell, and then only when not running AP in a debugger. Makes it
tough to figure out what's going on.  So, I'm hoping to hear about a few
more crashes that I can duplicate before pushing an update through the
installer, just to convince myself that progress has been made.  It
would definitely be helpful if, as mentioned, you keep running with the
intact get_iplayer script until you hit some more crashes.  You might
find the golden ticket sooner if you add --tag-longdesc to your command
line to force the long description atom to be written.