Help?

Nigel Taylor njtaylor at asterisk.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 17:55:49 EDT 2011

On 10/02/11 18:51, Catherine Drummond wrote:
> Hi there
> Apologies if I'm not emailing the right address - this is all a bit
> new to me!  I have started using get_iplayer with my iPad and it is
> working really well.  Just one thing - it looks like there hasn't been
> any new material added to the directory for about 3 weeks now?  When I
> do a search for recent stuff it doesn't come up.  Do I need to do
> anything to refresh the recording available to me or am I missing
> something?  Any help hugely appreciated!
>
> Thank you
>
> Catherine

Hi,

Not an iPad user myself, but this might help.

When get_iplayer is run it should update the lists held in the cache if over
4hrs old, and defaults to updating the tv channel cache.  For radio you have
add the --type radio to the command line.

Running get_iplayer from a command line --reset or --flush downloads
the into the cache, regardless of the expiry, by default tv is
assumed.

If using the Web PVR manager (for example on Windows, not sure about iPad), the
bottom of the web page is a refresh cache button, which just uses the
get_iplayer --flush command.

The caches are held in ~/.get_iplayer/radio.cache ~/.get_iplayer/tv.cache.
Where ~ is the home directory, depends on the operating system.

Examples below the "INFO: Getting tv index Feeds" is the forced updating of the tv.cache,
there are no new Added programmes, however for the second example radio updating as the
cache has expired, you can see the programmes that are being added to the radio.cache

$ get_iplayer --flush "Planet Dinosaur"
get_iplayer v2.80, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Getting tv Index Feeds
Matches:
493:    Planet Dinosaur Files - 1. Deadliest, CBBC, Audio Described,Children's,Factual,TV, default,audiodescribed
494:    Planet Dinosaur - 1. Lost World, BBC One, Audio Described,Factual,HD,Science & Nature,TV, default,audiodescribed,
495:    Planet Dinosaur - 2. Feathered Dragons, BBC One, Factual,HD,Science & Nature,TV, default,
496:    Planet Dinosaur - 3. Last Killers, BBC One, Audio Described,Factual,HD,Highlights,Popular,Science & Nature,TV, default,audiodescribed,

INFO: 4 Matching Programmes

$ get_iplayer --type radio --category Drama
get_iplayer v2.80, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Getting radio Index Feeds
Added: 10050:   5 live Sport - 02/10/2011, BBC Radio 5 live, Radio,Sport
Added: 10051:   5 live Sport - 02/10/2011, BBC Radio 5 live, Radio,Sport
Added: 10052:   5 live Sport - Premier League Football 2011-12: Tottenham v Arsenal, BBC Radio 5 live, Football,Radio,Sport
Added: 10057:   606 - 02/10/2011, BBC Radio 5 live, Football,Radio,Sport
Added: 10065:   A Kist o Wurds: Series 27 - Episode 6, BBC Radio Ulster, Arts Culture & the Media,Factual,Northern Ireland,Radio

Nigel