Portable Get_iPlayer (Thinstall)

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 17:59:06 EST 2011

On 20/11/2011 18:17, Kapitano72 wrote:
> The installation procedure wrote a few trivial entries to the registry -
> I deleted them and Get Iplayer worked fine. But I tried copying the
> files to a USB stick, uninstalling Get Iplayer, copying them back and
> running it, and got an uninformative error message - sorry, I didn't
> write it down.

There's no way to know from your description, but if you did a complete
uninstall you probably blew away the global options file containing the
configuration for all the helper apps, and that would lead to an error.
  If you set up get_iplayer on Windows without the aid of the installer,
you have to do that configuration yourself.

> My guess is that Perl installs files somewhere that isn't the install
> folder or Documents & Settings, and Get Iplayer can't run without these.
> Maybe we could switch to a portable version of Perl - I think Strawberry
> Perl is portable?

The Perl distributed with get_iplayer *is* Strawberry Perl, and no files
are installed outside the app directory.  I would think a missing
options file is the more likely culprit.