Audo test mp4 file

bat guano batguano999 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:33:47 EDT 2011

> Subject: Re: Audo test mp4 file
> From: andy at networkned.co.uk
> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:18:37 +0000
> To: get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
>

> On 20/3/2011, at 3:59pm, bat guano wrote:
> >> Searched for a test m4a. There is a m4a test file that works on my cd
> >> player here:
> >>
> >> http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/dsi/en_na/soundTest.jsp
> >>

> >> Link to zip containing the test file:
> >>
> >> http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/downloads/test.zip
> >>

> > The nintendo file plays in my second generation iPod shuffle.
> > Picture is here:- http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9927/shufflex.jpg
> > I'm amazed because this POS is very picky about what it likes.
> > Previously I've only been able to play m4a files created using
> > iTunes or neroAacEnc.
> >
> > The file created using Nick's method won't work for me.
> > ffmpeg -i foo.aac -absf aac_adtstoasc -acodec copy foo.m4a
> >
> > Do you think the problem might be to do with the tagging?
> > Perhaps some iPods and iTunes won't recognize the way get_iplayer tags the files.
> > Particularly if they see 'Writing application : Lavf52.103.0 ' when they're expecting
> > something like 'Writing application : iTunes 8.0.2, QuickTime 7.6'.
>
> Thanks to you both for the feedback.
>
> I'm pretty sure I've made .m4a audio on Linux that has then played back in iTunes (or at least Quicktime) on my Mac. But I was probably converting flaac to wav to aac using /usr/bin/flac from .
>
> The Nintendo sample appears to have been made with Apple software (I took a glance at it earlier, but can't remember now whether it was Quicktime or iTunes).
>
> But Apple aren't so obnoxious that they *deliberately* won't play audio produced by other applications; it's surely possible for get_iplayer to get this right.
>
> aB.

OK
I've got a workaround for my iPod shuffle.

Download the low-aac file:-
get_iplayer --get --force --type=radio --pid=b00zf64d --mode=flashaaclow

Convert it to m4a using -absf aac_adtstoasc:-
ffmpeg -i "Book_at_Bedtime_-_Pigeon_English_Episode_10_b00zf64d_default.aac" -absf aac_adtstoasc -acodec copy output.m4a

Load it onto my iPod.
It won't play.
   ^^^^

Load the file into EasyTAG-aac v1.1.5.
Delete Lavf52.103.0 from the 'Encoded by' box.
Save changes and exit.

Load it onto my iPod.
It plays OK!

This is the m4a file that won't play:- http://www.mediafire.com/file/2z6lb75fag9f4ai/output_before.m4a
and
This is the m4a file that will play:- http://www.mediafire.com/file/yhxo4rtpxdf6ie6/output_after.m4a

The workaround is OK for now.
I suspect that EasyTAG is doing a little more than just deleting a tag.
Maybe it's shuffling some atoms around before it saves.

If I could find out what the difference is between the files it would be
easier to use a command instead of messing about with the EasyTAG gui.

Can any of you figure it out?

The method works too for mode=flashaacstd but the files don't play so well - they skip.
That's the fault of the low-spec iPod.

bg