Fast(er) transcoding from aac to mp3.

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:02:16 EDT 2011

Not really comparing like-for-like, but with 2010 Macbook Pro (2.66 Ghz Core i7, 8Gb) and ffmpeg HEAD, transcoding a 3-hour program gives these numbers:

real	5m7.197s
user	4m56.078s
sys	0m6.127s

Just for kicks, in a 32-bit 1-CPU Ubuntu 10.10 VM (via VMWare Fusion) on the same machine I get this for the same file:

real	5m48.907s
user	5m30.741s
sys	0m11.337s

ffmpeg saturated one of the CPU cores in both cases, so the difference is more-or-less from the VM overhead.  That's OK for my purposes, but it's not hard to see how it could be pokey on older hardware.