Fast(er) transcoding from aac to mp3.

James Cook james.cook at bluewin.ch
Fri Mar 18 10:29:56 EDT 2011

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:52:02 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi
>I sometimes download BBC radio shows to listen on my mp3 player.
>It looks like I'm going to have to start transcoding them from aac to mp3.

I just joined this list yesterday - so I don't know the context of
this message - Has the BBC dropped MP3 from radio broadcasts?
I noticed this in the last few days. Is it a permanent switch?

>time ffmpeg -i filename.aac -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128kinfu test1.mp3
Does anyone have this working on Windows? I talked to Phil about 18
months ago about this. Only worked on *nix. So I use faad instead -
but it is very cpu intensive.

Does anyone know of a free AAC(ADTS) to AAC converter - to play on an
ipod (yes I know). Better quality than AAC to MP3 conversion?

JC