AAC audio: MP3 transcoding as backup option
northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Mar 16 22:03:54 EDT 2011
>For anyone interested, I've made a version of get_iplayer with an option to
>transcode AAC audio to MP3. I started doing this when flashaudio began
>disappearing from iPlayer, and now I've piggybacked it on Nick Ludlam's
>changes for AAC->M4A remuxing. It can be found at:
>If anyone would like to test it, please have a go. To force MP3
>transcoding, add '--aactomp3' to the command line or 'aactomp3 1' to the
>options file. YMMV, no guarantees, no refunds.
>I know transcoding is not a great option given that it reduces quality and
>can crawl on a slow machine, but I think it might be useful to have this
>alternative built into get_iplayer. It would be a >backup option for those
>players that really can't deal with AAC or M4A, and since it would be a
>positive user choice it wouldn't interfere with the default behaviour.
Thank you dinkypumpkin for sharing your version :-) I am using get_iplayer
on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 x86 & I am facing the problem of getting
untagged mp3 files from get_iplayer. I have searched the net laboriously to
find a Windows 32bit static executable compiled from sources for id3v2 CLI
(http://id3v2.sourceforge.net/), but so far no luck.
I haven't got the skills & means to compile it myself :-(. So even when the
flashaudio mode was available, I was getting untagged mp3 files for radio
When using the official 2.79 release, I still get untagged .aac files for
the flashaacstd radiomode, even though I have AtomicParsley installed (and
inside my options file).
Now, when I use Nick's most recent fork, I happily end up with a TAGGED .m4a
file, which, when transcoded at a second stage -manually- to mp3 at 128kbpsCBR
with ffmpeg (or
Real Player SP's Converter 1.1.1), retains almost all metadata, i.e. it
yields a tagged .mp3 file!
As I understand it, your modified script uses this route:
no --aactomp3 option: flv [demuxed-> ] aac [remuxed->] m4a (tagged with
--aactomp3 option: flv [demuxed-> ] aac [transcoded->] mp3 (untagged for me,
tagged with id3v2 when available)
Can you please, for the benefit of Windows users, modify your script and
create e.g. an --m4atomp3 option so that the transcoding occurs after the
creation of the m4a file:
--m4atomp3 option: flv [demuxed-> ] aac [remuxed->] m4a (tagged with
AtomicParsley) [transcoded->] mp3 (tag intact)
Most kind regards, Vangelis (from Greece)
More information about the get_iplayer