Automatic conversion of aac to m4a

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 11:13:50 EDT 2011

On 14 Mar 2011, at 09:42, <shevek at o2.co.uk> <shevek at o2.co.uk> wrote:
> Why introduce a new tool into get_iplayer?
>
> Ffmpeg can do this already.
>
> See my post [1] for details
>
> I agree with the --m4a option but I think it should use ffmpeg

Absolutely agree that no further deps should be added to get_iplayer unless we're sure they're necessary.

Surely it must be possible with the tools we have already to remux properly.

Maybe ffmpeg has a --flag that will allow it to produce compatible files?

It doesn't seem like this option has yet been thoroughly explored.

I'm not sure that --m4a option is necessary, as the current .aac files (or their container, specifically) are known to be broken. There are a number of players they don't work on, and they only play on the systems they do because these OSS players (VLC, mplayer) are particularly forgiving.

aB.