Flashaudio no longer available for Radio 4?

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 23:18:21 EST 2011

On 10/3/2011, at 11:00pm, Christopher Woods (CustomMade) wrote:
>> get_iplayer's .aac files are, admittedly, in a bad or broken
>> container.
>> That does need fixing, although it should be pretty easy.
>
> If you're more of a GUI person (like me, albeit purely out of laziness)
> FLVExtract makes light work of extracting the .aac files from the .flv
> wrappers. Drag, drop, done.

Well, at present I think get_iplayer tries to remux and is doing it wrong. I believe it is broken.

Surely you must be using --raw to get the .flv files?

I think that, by default, using `--radiomode flashaachigh,flashaacstd` you get these files with an .aac extension which don't work on some systems (Mac Quicktime Player, Windows Media Player?). Convert them using the command I gave before and they still have an .aac extension, but they play in those media players (I think).

What slightly bothers me is that get_iplayer probably adds metadata, "artist" and "title" tags, to the .aac file - probably even a show thumbnail. Converting blindly with `mplayer -dumpaudio` will surely lose that, so the longer I'm lazy and ignoring fixing the problem, the larger my collection of shows with potentially-missing tags becomes.

aB.