Flashaudio no longer available for Radio 4?

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 13:23:29 EST 2011

On 10/3/2011, at 5:12pm, Chris Marriott wrote:
> Same here. Luckily, downloading as “flashaacstd” seems to work, and iTunes
> converts the resulting AAC files to MP3 easily enough, but still it’s a bit
> of a nuisance. We seem to be having things chipped away, one thing at a
> time.

I don't really see much cause for complaint.

MP3 might be inconvenient for you, but the AAC files are better quality.
The BBC are not "chipping something away" here (only *perhaps* removing a poorer format).

If the problem is with get_iplayer, then, yes, get_iplayer is going to suffer from bitrot.
No-one wants to maintain it.

So if the BBC change the iPlayer website in some way, get_iplayer will not be updated to accommodate that unless you or I make suitable changes to get_iplayer's program code.

To write get_iplayer again from scratch would be a *huge* undertaking. It would cost you £ thousands to commission it as a paying job from a programmer.

We can assess this further when we know more about the future of iPlayer and Project Canvas / YouView.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouView

aB.