getting signed programmes

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 06:31:52 EST 2011

On 3/3/2011, at 5:19pm, chris chery wrote:
> i tried copying  your syntax line scrupulously for "being Ronnie corbett" and it did not work
> BUt I found out why
> I was not using straight quotes but 'smart' quotes
> Its ok now after editing autocorrect and auto format in Word ( mi os is xp)
> but why do i get
> ( see attachment)
>

> when I type
> get_iplayer --subtitles --get 85 --modes=flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh,,flashstd --force
>
> thanks again
> <ronnie corbett.doc>

I get the same problem with the *unsigned* version of "Being Ronnie Corbett" - there seems to be a bug with this show.

If I click on the programme page right now [1] there's a big banner over the screencap which says "this content doesn't seem to be available right now, please try later" and the "download at BBC iPlayer" link doesn't work, either. "Being Ronnie Corbett" is not listed under B on the iPlayer main site.

All I know about bugs, missing programmes and reporting them I explain here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/get_iplayer@lists.infradead.org/msg00233.html

If you're having problems with other shows, can you give their details.

Please note that "--subtitles" is NOT the same as `--versions signed`.

I'm pretty sure --subtitles will download the standard version of the show, plus the Ceefax-style subtitles as an .srt text file [3]. I think the .srt subtitles will saved separately from the .mp4 file, because I don't think the .mp4 container format can carry text subtitles. I think some video players will show the subtitles if they find an .srt file in the same folder with the same name as the video file they're being asked to play. However I think we probably ought to remux to .mkv instead in the case of text subtitles, because I think that container format contain audio, video and subtitles in a single file; many people regard .mkv as a better file format.

When I download using `--versions signed` I get a video of a bloke standing in the foreground / to  the side of the screen performing sign language and the show itself in the background behind him, filling only c 3/4 of the screen. So a completely different video file is downloaded from the unsigned version.

When I asked you to attach plain text output I meant something like the attached. Plain text attachments are *far* more useful for diagnostics purposes than any other format - if you copy from the DOS window correctly (it is a bit cumbersome) then they'll allow us to see the *full* output from get_iplayer, even if it doesn't fit on a single screen. Plain text does not include images - they're *only text* - and thus they're a very size-efficient way to send the information. Plain text files should open just fine with no .doc extension - in Windows one would typically use Notepad to save, edit or view them, not Word. If using Word (don't!) one would need to use the "Save As" file menu and choose "plain text" from the file format drop-down.

I advise you to change your subscription options for the mailing list to "individual message". I think the digest version may strip attachments and prevent you from seeing them. For this reason, and to ensure you see my plain text attachment, I am CC'ing you a copy of this email. However I would be grateful if you could address the mailing list directly in the future - please do not send tech support requests directly to me, nor CC me on them. I read the list regularly.

As you can see, the signed version of "Being Ronnie Corbett" downloaded fine for me.

I think the show only has a couple of days remaining to run on iPlayer, so I'll keep hold of my copy, just in case you have further problems. Please update us on your success.

HTH,

aB.